7 comments 20.5.09

How to fix a bad HK haircut

Posted by Miss Fong - Filed under ,
I'm sure it's happened to most of us. You go to a strange hairstylist that you've just met for the first time, you give them a general idea of what you want and you end up looking like a butchered barbie doll.

I assume this happens more often in Hong Kong than anywhere else, thanks to the extreme differences in taste, but personally speaking, this happens to me every, single time I get a hair cut, no matter where I am. It's like I've got this curse against having good hair.

Anyway, for those of you who have had the misfortune of having your hair lopped off or destroyed by your now mortal enemy, I'm here to tell you that there is hope!

You basically have three options:
  1. Hair growth/strengthening shampoos and conditioners - These claim to strengthen your hair to minimize hair loss and promote healthy growth. Although they aren't proven to make your hair grow faster, they do make the hair you have pretty strong and shiny! Try the Japanese brand 2001 Elence, Mane n' Tail (my personal fave), or Jackie Chan's stuff if you're really desperate.
  2. Clip-in hair extensions - For the commitment-phobic, clip-in hair extensions can give you a temporary solution while your real hair grows out. Ranging from curly to straight to even clip-in bangs, you can find them at City Super at TST/Times Square in the cosmetics section, in Mong Kok ladies market and in the Ginza mall in Causeway Bay.
  3. Real hair extensions - Read on...!
If you are considering real hair extensions, you first need to decide whether you want them attached with glue, micro-beads or braided. Glue is the cheapest but may come out more quickly, beads are clamped to your hair and relatively painless but some people can feel them while sleeping, and the braiding method is the best but costs the most!

Where to get them done?
A typical salon will charge you at least HK$2000 for the basic methods and upwards of HK$4000 for the braiding method, but you can actually get it for much cheaper in various small shops of Mong Kok and Causeway Bay ~around HK$300!

One place I'd recommend is Fong Fong (not just because of the name, hehe) which is at 152 Sai Yeung Choi Street in Mong Kok across the New Town Mall (exit D1). Don't be afraid of its sketchy appearance, many stylish HK girls go there to do their nails and hair extensions for way cheaper than your typical salon. The place is run by an endearing family (Mom, Daughter and Grandma) plus two sex-crazed poodles who are engaging in way too much activity!!

Hope this helps!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

7 comments:

alik said...

I like your blog...
nice blog... nice you too...
I like Jackie Chan... smile....

Anonymous said...

hey~

can you recommend a place to get human hair clip on extensions? or can i get them at city's super? I've been there a billion times and i have yet to see them sell hair extensions o.o

email me back at asiancandies@hotmail.com =) thank uuuu

Katy said...

I know you wrote this soo long ago but thanks for the reference; I'm going to write this place down for my vacation there. I think I'm gonna get some hair extensions in HK but I hope they do it well and don't damage my hair. =S

Anonymous said...

A cautionary tale: I went to The Hairdressers salon in Soho to have my hair cut short because they purport to work on all types of hair. I wanted a short natural style that could be successfully accomplished by the most junior of stylists as it simply involves the use of clippers. Well, Trang, an alleged experienced stylist, ended up shaving a 3x5 inch strip of hair completely off!! To make matters worse, one of their other crack stylists suggested that they make a "pattern" in my head, I guess a la Dennis Rodman or some NFL players. Instead of doing what they could to rectify this unconscionable and egregious act of negligence, the salon owners have offered me the pleasure of additional "services" from them - I guess they can take a stab at shaving another landing strip on the other side of my head -- and two cheap, ill-fitting wigs from Kowloon. Patronize this "salon" at your peril.

Unknown said...

Hey,

I know this post was from 2 years ago. But i just wanted to know if that 'fong fong' place does real human hair extensions? (is it still there?... and i tried searching it through google map and i don't see it near the mall. maybe its wrong? :/ ) and are there other places that u could recommend as well? because im tired of my bob... and i can never seem to grow it out cuz it goes all out of shape, therefore making me wanna cut it short again.. ):


Please email me about it!! thank you!! (: ... and i live in hk lol.

Anonymous said...

www.hairkonnections.com in Sheung Wan
Hong Kong

joella said...

hi, i know this post is from ageess ago. but im a hk girl living in nz and im coming back at the end of the year and im planning to get my hair chemically straightened. coz its so much more cheaper! any suggestions on where to go? :)