4 comments 4.8.09

Can't we all just get along?

Posted by Miss Fong - Filed under , , ,
Last night, I contributed to the death of the biggest cockroach I have seen to date. What had he done to deserve such a cruel execution by way of flipping, scraggling and drowning in a never-ending stream of RAID poisonous spray? Nothing, really. He was simply in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

You see, if you're a giant cockroach who happens to be hanging around on the doorbell outside my apartment, and by the time I actually notice you, you're a mere 2 inches from my face, I have no choice but to (shriek like a banshee and then) KILL YOU.

Obviously, I didn't kill the guy myself. After letting out a shrill scream, I backed up slowly, froze for 5 minutes and then threw my house keys against the front door. There was no response, so I called for back-up.

Another 5 minutes passed before C came out of the apartment armed with the almighty poison spray, which he used to blow the roach off the wall, onto the floor and finally onto its back, where it struggled for a good 30 seconds before his hairy brown legs eventually stopped kicking around at odd angles and folded slowly into their final resting place.

Apparently, I had been screaming all the way through because one very annoyed neighbour poked his head out with a WTF!? expression. I explained that there was a giant cockroach, but his facial expression remained the same.

Staring back at the cockroach corpse, I wondered... Why did we just kill a seemingly innocent creature? Is it just because he looks so damn frightening and ugly? It's not really his fault he looks that way, is it? I know we don't want roaches inside our apartment, but did we really have to kill it so brutally? Do all cockroaches deserve to die?? If so, why?? Why can't we all just get along??

Still, I'm kinda glad it's dead.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It it made you feel bad, you could have eaten it? See http://www.yoursinclair.co.uk/wiki/Main/Cockroach

Anonymous said...

Dear Miss Fong,

When you stop writing about cockroaches in Hong Kong then, perhaps, you will have you've stopped living on Hong Kong, and will have started living in Hong Kong.

Tai O Boy

Miss Fong said...

Haha, thanks Tai O Boy, I guess if the day comes when I don't flinch at the sight of a giant roach and in your words start 'living IN Hong Kong', I'll really have nothing left to blog about, will I...

Anonymous said...

At least you killed the cockroach in what I perceive as self-defense.

When I was a child, my brother and I used to think of creative ways of torturing bugs in our backyard. From classic methods such as magnifying glass to pouring boiling water down ant holes, we would kill bugs out of enjoyment rather than self-defense.

The point of my post...there is always someone worse than you. So no worries, sleep tight.