6 comments 20.10.11

Crankie cabbie

Posted by Miss Fong - Filed under , , ,

Today, I managed to piss off a Hong Kong cabbie quite royally, and it all started when I got into his cab at Hollywood Road and told him to drive me to 'Central Plaza'.

"Cen-tral Pla-zaa," I said to him in my best Honger accent.

He stared at me through the rear-view mirror with an annoyed expression in his eye and eyebrow (that's all I could see of him).

"Um... Zhong-Wan Pla-zaa?" I tried again.

"What are you saying?" he said in Cantonese, obviously annoyed.

"You know, Zhong-Wan Dai-Ha in Wanchai?" (where 'dai-ha' meant 'building', or so I thought)

"You mean Zhong-Wan Gong-Cheung!" he gruffed back. "Pla-zaa! Get your buildings straight, you don't know what you're talking about!"

"Uhh...I'm not from around here," I said. "What's 'dai-ha' then?"

"Dai-ha is HOUSE, gong-cheung is PLAZA!" he nearly shouted at me.

"Okay, okay, now I know," I muttered back, thinking 'Same-diff, yeesh!'.

Five minutes later, as I ruffled through my bag, I came to a sudden heart-dropping realization that I had forgotten my wallet at the office, and was therefore riding in his cab without a single cent of money (OH SH!T.) Annnnd, of course, my phone was at 5% battery and ready to die.

I decided to play it cool and not let the cabbie know, while in my head I started wondering what I could give him in exchange for the ride over (nothing sexual -___-). Inside my bag was a nasty old orange umbrella, an eel-skin business cardholder, and a red and white Canada lanyard I'd bought in a dollar store back home (so, basically nothing). 

I couldn't even ask him to go to an ATM since I didn't have my debit or Octopus card on me. In the end, I made a desperate call to the people organizing the event at Cen-tral Pla-zaa and managed to explain my situation, and they agreed to come down to the taxi stand and pay my cab fare (phew).

Of course, when I finally told the cabbie the news as he was pulling up to Cen-tral Pla-zaa, he was anything but happy.

"What?! You know I can't stop here," he complained. "Once someone comes I'm going to have to move!" 

"I know, sorry," I said, and then sat silently waiting for my rescue. 

He continued, "What is this, some kind of joke? I've never had this happen to me before, geezus..." 

We sat in silence again as the meter beeped every few minutes.

"Oh great, now there's someone behind me. See, now I have to move my car!" he whined.

A few minutes later, he added, "I can't believe this is happening. I'm about to get off work and you pull this kind of shit on me--" and that was when I had just about enough.

"What, you think I wanted this?!" I yelled at him. "You think I forgot my wallet on purpose!?"

That shut him up for a few awkward minutes before he got heckled again by the building staff to clear the area. As they bantered back and forth about whether anyone was coming at all, the receiver of my collect-cab finally arrived, paid my cab fare and released me from my cabbie hostage situation. 

FREEDOM NEVER FELT SO GOOD!! 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

6 comments:

成Shing said...

Don't let it bother you. I'm sure it was a nightmare at the time. But at least you can look back at it now and laugh.

jisampedro said...

I´ve never been in this kind of situation but must be stressful, especially with Mr. Nice driving. I can understand people can be a bit tired or pissed for their whole day of working, but should respect the clients, especially those that are always in touch with people.

You end alive and in one piece. Hope won´t get into the same devil cabbie..

Gillian Chu said...

I think it's especially confusing when there is the Centre(中環中心) AND Central Plaza (中環廣場), sounding more similar than ever in Cantonese, but with one situated in Wanchai and the other close to being in Sheung Wan. Why can't they give more unique names to buildings? Haha

Razlan said...

OMG, this is hilarious. But yes when shit happens, it comes in bucketload.

Unknown said...

Another taxi nightmare:
Chic McMuffin and I were queueing for taxi in front of landmark to go to coda plaza. I know it's not far but it's not exactly walking distance in heels too...anyway, so we jumped into this cab, and after i showed my piece of paper with the destination in Chinese complete with a map (I don't trust my Canto), he studied it and proceeded to curse "diuleilomo, lapsap."

Being a major timid pushover that I am, I didn't say anything to that at all. I didn't even try to get off the cab and get the next one cos we were already late etc. I am a huge wimp. I know T_T

Miss Fong said...

omg I can't believe he called you lapsap!!!! That's a much worse cabbie than mine. Poor you! You need to learn to curse back!! (I'm still learning!)