4 comments 18.12.11

Cockroach CSI: Death by Tobacco

Posted by Miss Fong - Filed under , , , ,
No matter what time of year it is in Hong Kong, you're likely to see one of the city's most infamous tenants crawling around: the cockroach. In the summer, they are out in full force, scurrying along sidewalks, climbing up the walls, and sometimes (if you're unlucky) flying right into your line of sight.

Now that it's winter though, cockroach sightings are much more rare, but that doesn't mean they're gone. In fact, most of the times I see cockroaches these days is when they're dead. Squished, flattened, stomped on, or worse, have you ever wondered what actually happened right before the cockroach was killed?

Introducing ... Cockroach CSI: an investigation into the lives (and death) of our city's rampant roaches. First up is a cockroach I saw in Wanchai last year, an image that I will never forget as it was such a vivid one.

I was on Jaffe Road right across Joe Bananas when I looked down before crossing the street. And, there, right next to my foot was a dead cockroach on its back, clutching onto a cigarette butt. I kid you not, his six legs were literally wrapped around the cigarette butt!


It's clear how this cockroach died: death by tobacco. After a long night of partying with the call girls in Wanchai, this roach thought of winding down with a still-lit cigarette butt that landed just a few inches from him. After taking one long puff, he choked to death on all the nicotine, smoke and tar that filled his little lungs. So, the lesson here is, hanging out in Wanchai will kill ya!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts never fail to make me laugh Erica. I imagine if someone wanted to roll a phat one, there was quite literally a roach on the floor.

thedeadcockroach said...

Tell me Peter isn't dead!

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I think it's a good PSA: smoking kills, even the indestructible cockroach cannot survive the poison of cigarette smoke!

Noely said...

Hi Erica. Spotted this sign somewhere which read "PLEASE DON'T THROW YOUR CIGARETTES ON THE FLOOR AS THE COCKROACHES ARE GETTING CANCER" and it reminded me of your post. Keep up the good work :)

Noely
Englishman in Hong Kong